By STRECH (ImpalaSSForum.com)
Is it an SS or a Clone?
* Wx3 code on the SPID sticker on the trunklid.
* There is also a decal on the drivers side cowl, just behind the
front fender, bellow the hood hinge (on the edge of the firewall down
below the left hood hinge). It will say WX3 right on it.
* Make sure the VIN on the SPID matches the VIN on the rest of the
* Driver's door sticker should specify the 17" wheels. should read
* Do a VIN check on it by someone that knows what they are doing
and look it up in the production data base.
* Pull out your
passenger seat it has a build sheet under the passenger seat with your
car's vin, that should also have the wx3 code on it plus the day it
was manufactured on. If that's number doesn't match your vin as well
then yes it's possible that it's a clone!!!
* Just remove the center console. Look to see if the brackets that
hold it are spot welded and painted from the factory. Can't clone
that. They either have factory spot welds, or they don't.
* if you want to talk about exterior:
you also have the moldings over the wheels, the impalas have the nice
painted thin molding around the tires, while the 9c1 has the ugly
chrome and rubber like all caprices
* you also got the chrome lights on the caprice
* the chrome moldings on the door
* black stripe on top of the headlight lens that caprices don’t
* the rear tail light lens also have a very subtle black line in
* go to a chevy dealership and ask for a GM vehicle VIS report that
will tell you if its an impala or not.
if you enter the VIN at car fax it will tell you if it is a SS or a
* speedo will be 160
The unique items include--and I'm sure there are more:
console (RPO D55)
other interior trim pieces
rear spoiler (RPO T43)
wheels/tires (RPO QAO/QBJ)
front brakes (RPO JB9)
wheel opening and rocker panel molding, and other exterior trim
Rear axle code for WX3 (found on axle itself) is unique, with standard
limited slip/axle ratio combination (G80/GU4) - and axle is wider than
the "other" rear disc unit used on 9C1
Suspension spec (FE4), including original deCarbon shocks, hard
plastic front sway bar link insulators, and unique front and rear
Driveshaft was specifically balanced for higher speeds
PCM flash was unique
the trunk switch is in the glove box.
Impala ss gets a sentenial lighting with Automatic Interior and
Impala ss gets factory cruise control.